This site uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some cookies on this site are essential, and the site won't work as expected without them. Read More

Out Of Hours


What to do on requiring medical help outside of the Surgery's opening hours - from 6.30pm - 8.00am


If you call the surgery telephone number 01947 840480 an answerphone message will play advising you to call 999 for life threatening medical emergencies or 111 for urgent medical attention.


6.30pm-8.00am (Monday - Friday) and 24hours Saturday-Sunday (including bank holidays) - Call 111:

When you call 111, a trained adviser will ask you questions to find out what is wrong, give you medical advice and direct you to someone who can help you, like an out of hours doctor or a community nurse.


If the advisor thinks your condition is more serious, they will direct you to hospital or send an ambulance.  If you do not speak English, tell the advisor what language you want to speak and they will get you an interpreter.


Calls to NHS 111 are free from landlines and mobiles


NHS 111 online service now available to local residents


Residents across Hambleton, Richmondshire and Whitby areas can now access the NHS 111 service online as well as over the phone if they need urgent healthcare or health advice.


Residents can now receive urgent medical help or advice that is not life threatening, from NHS 111 online using their smartphone, tablet, laptop or other digital device.


As an alternative to calling 111, you can now visit www.111.nhs.uk to determine which service or treatment is most suitable for you. Like the phone service, it is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and is free to use.

Like you do when calling 111, you’ll answer a series of questions relating to your symptoms. Based on your answers, you will be directed to the most appropriate healthcare service in your area. You can also use NHS 111 online to get advice on self care.


The service helps to direct patients to the right care, at the first attempt. The NHS 111 online service can be used to:

  • Answer questions about symptoms
  • Discover where to get the most suitable care in your area
  • Get self-care advice
  • Recommend that you speak to a nurse, emergency dentist or GP
  • If necessary, advise you to call an ambulance directly

Dr Mark Hodgson, local GP and NHS Hambleton, Richmondshire and Whitby Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) Governing Body member said: “The NHS 111 service plays a crucial role in helping people get the most appropriate care available in their area at the first time of asking, so it’s helpful that they can now access this information online as well as over the phone.


“You should use the NHS 111 service if you urgently need medical help or advice when it is not a life-threatening situation. The 999 number should be used if you have a medical emergency, such as breathing difficulties, chest pains or if you’ve been in a serious accident.”


Always follow any medical advice you have already been given by your doctor. This service is not a replacement for seeing a health professional. Visit www.111.nhs.uk for more information.






You should only call 999 in an emergency - For example, when someone's life is at risk or someone is seriously injured or crtically ill.


Call 111 if you need medical help fast, but it is not life-threatening


For health needs that are not urgent, you should call the GP in their normal opening hours.


NHS 111 Information Leaflet - Open here

Choose font size: A A A


Total visitors:117609 | Disclaimer